New Pipe Organ

In 1987 the opportunity arose to install a pipe organ to replace the old organ taken out in 1970 and replaced by an electronic instrument. The organ was built in 1909 for the Church of St John, Hightown, Wrexham by James Jepson Binns, Organ Builder, Bramley, Leeds and was the gift of John Jones of Grove Lodge, Wrexham, who erected the church to the memory of Jane his wife in 1909. When St John's was made redundant the rector of Wrexham was approached and he generously offered the organ to the shared Church of St Mary's. Mr John S. Evans of Ruabon was responsible for designing and making additional casing in oak from the choir pews of St John ' s Church. The cost of the installation and improvement to the Binns organ was over eleven thousand pounds shared between the Anglican and Catholic congregations. The organ was completely overhauled and rebuilt with new electro- pneumatic actions throughout by Leonard Reeves, Organ Builder, Stoke-on- Trent. It was dedicated on 5 May 1987 by the Right Reverend Alwyn Rice-Jones M.A., Bishop of St Asaph, and the Right Reverend James Hannigan, Bishop of Wrexham. 


 

Copyright St Mary's Church Ruabon