People Monuments Fittings and Furnishings Early History The Medieval Building The Reformation The Seventeenth and Eighteenth Centuries The South Chapel Restoration and Enrichment 1770 Nineteenth Century Radical Restoration Stained Glass Windows The Twentieth Century The Sharing of the Church Church and Community Hall New Church Roof 2010
The Church Silver
In 1685 there were: 'one silver flagon Chalice and patten with cover all gilt. One large silver chalice, and one little silver chalice a fair pewter flagon for the wine'.
The plate was noted in 1709 to be of 'considerable value' .Griffith Matthewes, citizen and vinter of London and a native of Ruabon, had presented plate in 1616, and there was another donor in 1679. The plate was melted down in 1776 possibly by Cresswell the Silversmith of London. The new plate was remade by Charles Aldridge and Henry Green and the flagon is inscribed:-
'Originally the Plate was a gift to Ruabon Church in Denbysheere April 1679. Remade Annon Dom, 1776 Sir Watkin Williams Wynne Brt, William Higgons esq. Churchwarden'.
probably Robert Adam who designed the plate consisting of a flagon of
classic form, two matching Communion cups, of goblet form, and two matching
Copyright St Mary's Church Ruabon