People Monuments Fittings and Furnishings Early History The Medieval Building The Reformation The Seventeenth and Eighteenth Centuries The South Chapel Restoration and Enrichment 1770 Nineteenth Century Radical Restoration Stained Glass Windows The Twentieth Century The Sharing of the Church Church and Community Hall New Church Roof 2010
Stained Glass Windows
The stained glass is dominated by the work of Ward & Hughes of London; and in some instances signed by their designers T .F .Curtis and George Parlby. The windows are full of Biblical events in the life of Jesus.
The east window (photo) is to the memory of Marie Nesta Williams Wynn, born October 23 1868, died January 26 1883 was erected June 1884. The window is detailed in the surviving account:
'To a five light East window being the "Marie Nesta Williams Wynn" memorial cont's subjects of "The Crucifixion" Our Lord setting a child in the midst of the disciples, the Transfiguration, and the Raising of Jairus' daughter, the small opening above being occupied with a figure of St Agnes with her emblem, a cherub, angels holding flowers, the Alpha & Omega roses and lilies..cost £236.15s.'
The window in the south chapel was erected in 1872 at the direction of Marie Emily, the wife of the sixth baronet, in memory of her two brothers, Grenville (d.1865) and Arthur, Captain in the Royal Welsh Fusiliers who fell at the battle of the Alma, Sept.20 1854. The window depicts scenes from the Crucifixion and the Resurrection of Jesus.
The window on the south wall was designed by George Parlby in 1892 to the memory of Susan Hicks (1831-91) the wife of Henry Dennis (1825-1906) of New Hall, Ruabon. Henry Dennis was a Cornish mining engineer who sank new collieries, established terra cotta works, water works and gas works in this district. The window depicts 'the good wife and the beauty of family life'.
The west window of the south aisle is signed T.F.Curtis and is to the memory of Watkin Williams Wynn sixth baronet (d.1885). The window depicts our Lord's mission on earth, the Incarnation, the Presentation in the Temple, the Proclamation of the Gospel the Adoration of the Angels, and the symbols of Alpha and Omega.
The west window of the north aisle is signed by T .F .Curtis and was designed by George Parlby 1898. It was installed by public subscription to the memory of Ebenezer Wood Edwards (1830-97), 36 years vicar, and Charlotte Eva his wife (d.1889). The window is remarkable for the number of crosses shown in each of the panels. During the closing years of his life Wood Edwards was a cripple and had to walk with the aid of a crutch.
The east window of the north aisle was designed by George Parlby and is also dedicated to the memory of Charlotte Eva Edwards. The window refers to the words 'Well done Good and Faithful Servant', 'My soul doth magnify the Lord', 'Enter thou into the Joy of thy Lord'.
The monopoly of Ward
& Hughes is broken:
The centre window of the north aisle is an unattributed but interesting
example of early neo-Gothic stained glass. It is to the memory of Anne
Rowland of the Bryn, who died 1859, aged 79 years. The window depicts the
Raising of Lazarus, the Two Sisters, and the appearance to Mary in the
Copyright St Mary's Church Ruabon